Jail Diary

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Sunday and Workshop!!!!!!

Next day, I reached jail as per my schedule. I entered inside the jail and got mesmerized! God! Is some VIP coming on a visit? Full ground, lawn and open area was full of pomp and show. Cleaning derive was in full swing. Pool of water was logged here and there. Some inmates were watering the plants, some were sweeping the lawn, some were trimming the plants and some were washing the ground. I asked women constable. She simply said- “Aj Sunday hai na!”

After crossing the open area, I entered into female barrack. There also was the same scenario. Smell of various kinds of soap, detergent, hair oil were travelling in the atmosphere. Mother inmates were bathing their children and cleaning their cloths. Children, who took their bath, were playing with other children. They were running in the area. Their smile and laugh were divine. It was immaterial for them that they are put up at which place! Whether they should be kept at such type of places! Mothers and children, both have their own restrictions. Normally, they were not from very well being families. So, to take care of one child by their relatives, means cutting food from their own children. In some cases, both the parents were in jails. Father is in male barrack and mother in female. As per jail’s rule, children will have to stay along with their mothers only.

Sometimes, mother and child bond becomes very emotional. I remember, once I was standing inside jail for getting my belonging back, which I had deposited at the entrance. One woman inmate was called there to meet her son. Son was approximately 13-14 years old. All the time, they were just crying. When meeting time got over and son was asked to go back, he just caught his mother tightly and started crying loudly- “Aai, tu jaoo nakos.!” (Maa, don’t go away). Tears were rolling down from their eyes. The whole atmosphere became so emotional, that even jail personnel’s eyes got wet.  

In women barrack also, cleaning of barracks, cloths were in full swing. Women personnel were guiding them to clean the surroundings and area. Other women inmates were also busy in washing their utensils, cloths. Some were bathing, some were drying their hair, some were combing, some were chit-chatting with other inmates. They were there like a commune. They were not looking sad at all! I was a little surprised. Later on, some inmates said, “Initially we all are in the same conditions- upset, sad, depressed. We don’t eat food for many days. We passed many sleepless nights. But how long! How long other inmates will console you? They will also abandon you, if you keep continue crying. Gradually, we learn to live in the given situation. We start laughing, eating, chit chatting and doing all other normal chores.”

“This is the life and this is the philosophy of life!” I thought and reached to first floor of the barrack. There was also the same scenario. Those, who had participated in yesterday’s workshop and had taken the stationary. They were behaving with me like a stranger. No one had put any attention on me. I looked at lady constable. She was looking quite unhappy. Before I could ask anything, she told me- “Don’t you know, today is Sunday? A holiday? Why did you come today? Till 12 O’clock, they will clean barrack, will wash their cloths etc. 2 O’clock will be their lock up time. Today is half day.”

“I was not aware. If it is so, I should have been advised by the authority.”  I said. I was also thinking that if it’s a holiday, I must not disturb them. I may be very enthusiastic, but I don’t have any right to intervene in any one’s privacy. But, today, I was helpless. I had to conduct the program. Otherwise, I will have to return with empty handed.

I looked at some of the inmates, who had yesterday attended workshop in second half. One lady, looking highly educated, said me in English, “Just wait. Let me finish my work. Soon I will join you.” Some other also said the same. I have no options but to wait. Suddenly one bell rang and every one ran towards down. I was told, this is the time of food distribution. There is no kitchen in female barrack. Food comes from male kitchen. If you reach early, you may get a little better food in a little better quantity. People in last may not get left over or even may not get also. So everyone was in the same mood and mode- to get hot, fresh and good food in a good quantity. We, at home, make hundred tantrums on food and here!

After collecting food, the lady, who had promised me, had arrived. Some others also came. I started workshop with theatrical exercises and then shifted towards art creativity. Before coming here, I had learnt some methods of drawing and paintings from my daughter. Among them, the very first lesson was not to give pencil and eraser to any participant. Let them work directly with the color. Let them think and paint. Let them draw the lines, whatever they want. Finally, they themselves will be able to find out some pictures, scenes from and within the lines. I had also practiced. I found it was quite interesting. Exploring something by you is always very exciting.

I practiced the same. My daughter was supposed to join me. In the meantime, I  gave them papers and colors and full freedom to draw. They started. I had taken lots of old magazines for exercise. One inmates came and asked me, “Cant you manage your exercise with old newspapers, if I give you? Will you give me these magazines to read? Don’t tear them please! What harm if someone wants to read? My purpose was getting fulfilled. I happily exchanged.

Gradually, other inmates also joined. The lady, who assured me earlier, started telling her story that how she was cheated by her employer, which is a private bank, just for a meager amount of Rs. Fifteen thousand. She told, “My husband is working in Gulf. You may think, that what is the value for me for Rs 15,000/-. I took up this job just to pass my time.” She added, “Good, you came. At least, we got some time to sing, dance and express ourselves.” Another said, “First time, I laughed over here.”

Two girls, from Bengal, drew a house, a boy and a lady. One said, “She is my mother.” Another said, “This is my house and this is the boy, whom I want to marry.” I used my little knowledge of  Bangla, while talking to them. They became very happy.  This is the language effect! I smiled!

My daughter had come by the time and she rendered her expertise to them. Their drawings and paintings sudden got a new life. They screamed with happiness and joy. Some other inmates came out to see the matter. Participants were showing their work of art very happily. Now, I found there was sign of repent on the faces of some inmates. They assured me, “Next time!” I nodded my head- “Yes, next time!”

Lock up time was started. Jail personnel were insisting them to go inside. But, no one wanted to go back. Finally, all, except participants were sent inside. They were locked with huge lock. Suddenly, I got heaviness in my chest. I felt, this huge lock has been put on my chest and congestion was thickening. I turned my face from the locked barrack and tried to involved with my workshop. Participants were chatting and working. They were seeing each other’s work of art and passing their comments. They were murmuring like birds. Finally, Lady Constable instructed me to wind up the program. I obeyed. Participants promised me to be present in my all upcoming workshops also.

I came down. On the way, Lady Constable told me, “Don’t come on Sunday. We have also our families.” I nodded my head- “No program on Sundays and holidays.” And came out with a satisfaction and thought that if your intention is good and right, no one will stop you.  (Contd...)

No comments:

Post a Comment