Jail Diary

Monday, May 12, 2014

Deepal Shaw and Jail

Bollywood Actor Deepal Shaw had actively participated AVITOKO programs. She visited Byculla jail to celebrate her birthday with the kids of women jail inmates. She went to Yervada jail, Pune, where AVITOKO had organised an All Women Kavi Sammelan. Deepal had recited her poems along with others. A Times of India Report is placed below. You might have seen her in the film "A Wednesday", where she played the role of media reporter.

 Printed from

The Times of India -Breaking news, views. reviews, cricket from across India

Deepal 'Baby Doll' Shaw meets jail inmates28 Mar 2006, 0936 hrs IST,IANSSMS NEWS to
MUMBAI: Deepal Shaw, nicknamed 'Baby Doll' after her sizzling video Kabhi aar kabhi paar , paid a visit to Byculla jail here recently and was deeply moved by her interaction with the inmates। "I went to the jail to interact with the prisoners and add some colour to their dull lives. I wanted them to relate to me as Deepal and not Deepal Shaw," she said.

She visited the jail as part of the Mumbai-based organisation AVITOKO, which works for the welfare of underprivileged children and prison inmates using theatre and art as a medium of change.

"I was surprised to see the condition of the cells. It was more like a hostel than a jail. That gave me a sense of relief. Jail inmates were waiting for me and greeted me with a smile. As it was her fist visit to a prison, Deepal says she interacted with the women inmates. She discussed their problems and also organised an acting workshop for them.

"Though they are cut away from our progressive world, they are aware of their responsibilities and even prepared scripts on AIDS awareness and female infanticide. Their strength to cope up with life was so inspiring. "For a while I forgot all my worries and pain. This was an enlightening and eye opening experience. By the end of my visit I was Deepal and not Deepal Shaw for them!"
साभार- टाइम्स आफ इंडिया

No comments:

Post a Comment