Jail Diary

Friday, May 30, 2014

Inside the jail

Security guard had permitted me and now I was in jail premise. It was a huge premise with full of greenery to its left hand side. Long trees were there. Two or three vans were parked under the trees. Right hand side, there was a bungalow. Later on I came to know that this is for Superintendent. In the middle of the premise, there was a circle, covered with red bricks and white lime powder, for national flag. I raised my neck. Tricolor flag was hoisted there. And in front of me, jail building! Jail building was looking like a fort. In one corner, it was written, “In memory of freedom fighter.” No doubt, the entire campus was neat and clean and was quite impressive.

I went near the huge gate of jail building. Jail personnel were coming and going through the small gate of the big gate. I saw, Personnel were knocking the gate. There was a spy hole. Personnel from inside, used to open the spy hole, see the personnel of outside. After recognizing them, they unlock the door. The moment personnel enters inside, they lock the door immediately. The same process was applied for the personnel, coming from inside. I was going towards the gate. Outside this gate, again four-five securities were there. One of them asked, “Yes Madam! Kya baat hai?”

“Superintendent Saheb se milna hai.”

“What are the matter?”

Same story was repeated. Again I was told that Saheb has not come yet. You better go outside and wait for him.” Again I asked the same that how will I come to know, whether he had come or not. Again, I was permitted to stand there to wait for Bada Saheb.

It was around 4 pm, when sudden fast movement among the personnel, I felt. Everyone was in attention.  I saw, a very smart guy was walking towards the gate of jail building. One security announced in his rhythm that Superintendent saheb is coming. The main gate was opened and Superintendent saheb entered inside. Immediately gate was closed. A relaxation was spread on the faces of the personnel.

I moved a little ahead- near spy hole. Security from inside saw me and asked- “Kay ahe?” (Whats the matter?”

I said, “Superintendent Saheb se milna hai.”

“Your name?”

By uttering my name, I said him that he knows my program. Please tell him that I am waiting here.”

“Ok. You wait.” Spy hole got closed.

I listen, he was telling some other personnel, “Arey, Sahebana sanga that Madam has come.”

I was waiting with finger crossed. Almost 5-7 minutes had passed, when one personnel opened the door and pronounced my name. I immediately came forward. He was very polite and respectful. He took me inside. I was asked to deposit my mobile. Mr. Karnik, the Jailer was there. I met him and congratulated him for the award, won by his one of the inmates. He, very politely said that it was you people’s greatness to give an opportunity to an inmate. He guided me towards Superintendent’s chamber.

I was a little apprehensive. My God! He was so particular about his time. Whether he will listen to me? Whether he will agree to our plan?

The huge door of the chamber was fully opened. Another bracelet type of half door was open. Such type of door was found in Govt. officials offices in earlier days. By construction of the building, it was very easy to understand that it has been made by British. I read his name plate- Rajendra Dhamne.

I knocked that bracelet type of half door and opened one side of it. A huge hall type of Chamber appeared. Superintendent,  Mr. Rajendra Dhamne was sitting in his chair. I entered inside the chamber and wished him. He indicated me a chair for a seat. There were around 10 chairs in three rows. I occupied one chair from front row. I saw the wall. In his back wall, freedom fighters paintings were there.

One Hawaldar came with glasses of water, kept in a trey. I picked up one glass and saw the Superintendent. He was busy to sort out his files and papers. In the mean time, he was giving instructions to his officers. Almost after five minutes, he lifted his face. I saw him- a stiff, dark, handsome mid-age guy. His jaws were showing that how strict he might be. He passed a welcoming smile and said- “You were supposed to come in the forenoon no?”

“Yes Sir! I am Sorry, I could not. “ I got free at 1 pm. I phoned also. But I was told that now I can’t meet you.”

He did not say anything, but asked, “Tell me. What you want to do for our Bandi log (Inmates)?

First, I thanked him and then narrated our plan. He was listning very attentively. He asked, “When do you want to do?”

“Whenever you will permit us. But we can come only on Saturday as me and my other team members are free only on Saturday.”

“Saturday suites us also. No court on this day, so less problem. Fix the date, inform us and come. But, before it, write a letter to us with your purpose and program. We will give you the permission. Then only, you can conduct any program.“ He smiled, “ Official procedure. We will have to obey it.”

“Yes Sir. I am also a Govt. official. I am abiding rules and regulations. I can assure you that I will never let you down and so will perform all the formalities.” 

Now, there was no purpose to sit over there. He also called his officials. He had asked me for a cup of tea. I got that this is just a formality. If he would have willing, he would have ordered directly. I wished him and asked for my movement. He nodded and folded his hands in Namaste. I came out from his chamber. Mr. Karnik asked- “Ho gai mulakat?” (Did you meet him?)

The same was asked by the personnel of building securities as well as by the security from the gate. I said ‘yes’. I thanked everyone and came out from the jail. Open sky was looking at me. Roads were full of traffic. I was feeling very light. I stopped one auto and proceeded for Thane railway station to catch local train to reach my home.  (Contd….)   

  

2 comments:

  1. Great. Kudos..
    Just letting u know that for 3 continuous years i worked in shimla jail, 8 hours a day n did lot of theatre with inmates. Produced n directed plays for audience. You are welcome to use my services if u feel like :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amala. Its our pleasure to get your services. Please click on followers also. Whenever we will have our next program, we will let you know.

    ReplyDelete